Monday, December 7, 2009

Park birds


Black-Naped Oriole


Myna bird

On Saturday morning I got up bright and early to take pictures of the birds that frequent a riverside park that Courtney and I enjoy watching the sunset from. There is a very wide variety of bird species there. Certainly more than I'm used to. Aside from the usual city pigeons and sparrow flocks I managed to spot: common mynas, Asian koels, black-naped orioles, Asian pied starlings, white vented mynas, oriental magpie robins, some sort of barbet, swallows, a night heron and a few others I don't really know.
It was amazing how much wildlife there is in and around that little park, stuck in the middle of congested Bangkok. As well as what I saw on Saturday, Courtney and I also saw a moderately sized monitor lizard sunning itself near the park's toilets. That was a bit of a surprise!
Unfortunately, as it was Saturday, the park was very busy. There were people practicing tai chi, others doing various fitness regimes and a Buddhist sermon of sorts was also being conducted. All of this around 6-7 a.m. Not quite what I'm used to, but apparently Bangkok has the least amount of park space per person for any major city (1.8m² per person). So the fact that it was busy shouldn't have been too much of a shock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment